History…

The 8th Tonbridge (Hildenborough) Scout Group was formed in 1936.

Dr Beaufort Fraser was the first scoutmaster, and he allowed the Scouts to use a hut in his grounds. During the war years, the Troop was not really active, but it was re-launched in 1948, with a Service of Dedication at the Scout Hut. The Scouts were poorly supported however, and closed down in 1951.

The Cubs were kept going by Ted Manners and two other leaders by running a sixer pack from each of three separate houses. Following the return from National Service of Brian Fitz, son of the headmaster of the primary school (who became a Cub Scout Leader), Ted Manners started the Troop again in 1953. They met in a small hut, between the police house and the nurse’s house in Foxbush. The Troop performed their own scouting shows, the first of which was held in the Drill Hall, Riding Lane in March 1959. By this time, the Troop had outgrown their hut, and an ex-army building was purchased, erected and furnished for  £2000 on land owned by the Parish Council for a peppercorn rent of  £10 per annum. An auxiliary store, for the canoes and larger items, was erected in 1974.

Commencing in 1970, the Troop published its own journal for several years. In 1993, the troop was one of the largest in the area with 14 warranted leaders, 12 Ventures, 41 Scouts, 51 Cub Scouts and 20 Beavers. It was therefore decided by the executive committee, that the Scout Hut should be replaced. After an extensive fund raising campaign over many years £50,000 was raised and the new Hildenborough Scout HQ was built on the Riding Lane site, and finally opened in October 2005. This is still in use today.

Copyright ©2019 8th Tonbridge Scout Group - All rights reserved

Website designed by Scout Websites

x

Aged 6-25?

Join the adventure